What Documents Do I Need Translated For Immigration? - Speak Your Language | Australia

GET a Quote




Live Chat

What Documents Do I Need Translated For Immigration?

Posted on: May 22, 2023 by admin

If you’re considering applying for a visa to visit or stay in Australia, you may be wondering if your documents need to be translated. It is important to know who can translate documents for immigration to Australia. Read on to find out everything you need to know about migration translation.


Do I Need Immigration Documents Translated Into English?

If you’re applying for a visa to visit or live in Australia, you will need to ensure that all foreign supporting documents have been translated and stamped by an approved translator. Partial translations will not be accepted, so you’ll need to ensure the entire document is translated. You will also need to provide both the original document (or certified copy) and the approved translated copy. This includes official documents issued by your home country in a language other than English (e.g. driver’s licenses, birth certificates) as well as any personal documents (e.g. letters or emails to a spouse, religious documents and business documents). If you have documents that are written in a number of languages and one of the languages is English, then you don’t need to provide a translated copy.

Who Can Translate And Certify The Immigration Documents?

The Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection has very strict regulations regarding the quality of translations for foreign documents. Your documents must be translated and stamped by a certified NAATI translator or they will not be accepted. Your translated document must include the following:

  • Official NAATI stamp (including the practitioner’s ID)
  • Language and type of certification
  • Translator information (e.g. name and signature)
  • A statement in English attesting to the accuracy of the translated document
  • The date of the translation


You can engage a NAATI translator privately or some people may be eligible to access these services through a government agency such as:

  • The Department of Home Affairs’ Free Translating Service
  • Multicultural NSW Language Services
  • Interpreting and Translating Services NT
  • The South Australian Government’s Interpreting and Translating Centre


The Department of Home Affairs Translating and Interpreting Service

Speak Your Language is a NAATI accredited translation service and we are able to provide official translations for immigration documents.


What Documents Do I Need For Migration?

The documents required for your visa application will vary depending on what kind of visa you are applying for. Some of the common documents required include:

  • Identity documents (e.g. birth certificate, driver’s licence and change of name documents). These documents are mandatory for all visa applications.
  • Relationship documents (e.g. marriage certificatesdivorce papers and custody papers). These documents are mandatory for partner Visas and visas that include dependents (e.g. spouse or children)
  • Education documents (e.g. transcripts, degrees and certificates). These documents are mandatory for student visas.
  • Employment documents (e.g. proof of employment and letters of recommendation)
  • Police clearance
  • Medical documents (e.g. medical checks and proof of vaccination)
  • Business documents
  • Religious documents
  • Death certificates
  • Written statements
  • Personal correspondence


Migration documents must be translated into English and certified by a NAATI accredited translator. If you have documents that need to be translated for your visa application, contact Speak Your Language today to speak to migration translation experts.